Services to Leigh Creek
The State Government has announced it will continue to provide vital services to Leigh Creek, including the police station, school and hospital until at least June 2018.
Under the terms of its lease agreement with the State Government, Alinta must also maintain Leigh Creek – including services such as water and sewerage – until July 2018. This will also provide some certainty for surrounding communities such as Copley and Beltana, which rely on Leigh Creek for such services
Some residents in Leigh Creek and surrounding towns have also told us they would be interested in staying or moving into the town. As Alinta is currently responsible for providing housing, the State Government will work with the company on options.
Services provided in Leigh Creek
- Water supply from Aroona Dam to Leigh Creek, Lyndhurst and Copley
- Wastewater and septic management
- Electricity and backup power generators
- Garbage collection and dump management
- Public toilets, parks and playgrounds
- War memorial
- Emergency services
- Police station
- Leigh Creek Airport (Aerodrome)
- Leigh Creek Area School
- Recreation facilities, including an Olympic size swimming pool)
- Movie cinema
- Sporting and recreation clubs
- Daily school bus that services the regional communities of Nepabunna and Copley
- A central shopping precinct where privately owned businesses such as Foodland, Liz’s Open Cut Cafe and Visitors Centre, and the newsagency/post office are located
- The Leigh Creek Tavern and Motel (currently owned and managed by Alinta Energy)
- Other businesses located in Leigh Creek, including Leigh Creek South Motors, Leigh Creek Caravan Park (run by the Progress Association) and the Bottle Recycling Depot run by a private owner.